Yesterday, I had another Saturday, home, resting and healing from a recent accident. I had to also watch my youngest nephew for a little more than a few hours. I was able to keep him still just for a bit while we watched movies, as he ate snacks and lunch, and he took a nap. Thank God because my nephew is one busy toddler, lol!
But it was one movie that we watched, moreso myself, that I got another eye opener. I have watched this movie several times but this time I got a ping from the Holy Spirit with a word.
Spoiler Alert below.
I was watching The Hand That Rocks The Cradle where a pregnant mom gets molested by her doctor. She comes forward to expose him, he takes his life and his widow realizes not only is his life over but hers is collapsing also. She goes into labor prematurely and the baby doesn’t survive. She is in the hospital recovering after such loss of her child and I believe she also had an emergency hysterectomy done. She sees the victim of her husband on tv and this is where the grief and anger surfaces as well as the evil wheels get to spinning.
Six months later, the lady, Claire, who was molested by the doctor has given birth to her second child and he is now three months. The widow of the doctor, Peyton, meets Claire. She is applying for the nanny job and Claire and her husband approves of her. Peyton moves in with them to begin her duties. They do not know who she is and she is not going to reveal it.
After Peyton moves in, all hell breaks loose. I am not going to tell you all the things that happened but Peyton was behind them all. And it was how she did everything. The light bulb went on and I’m like man, this lady is crazy and evil, and her schemes were working at first.
Peyton caused chaos, confusion and strife. And how did she? By sowing seeds of doubt. Sowing seeds of doubt about Claire’s family handyman’s interaction with her daughter who was totally innocent. By sowing seeds of doubt about her husband and his faithfulness. By sowing seeds of doubt about her competency as a mother. She did more stuff but you have to watch or rewatch the movie if you have seen it before.
And that is what the enemy does. He sows seeds of doubt. According to the Idioms – Free Dictionary.com, sowing seeds of doubt is To cause someone to have doubts, worries, or concerns (about something); to introduce someone to a doubtful or worrisome idea. He plants seeds of doubt and causes strife and confusion and everything in between.
Now Peyton came in the door winning everyone over. She was supportive and a great help to the family but slowly turning the household upside down. Sounds familiar?
What helped them realize at first something was wrong although they couldn’t put their finger on it fully? There was too much disorder and confusion. Claire was falling apart at the seams. She couldn’t as she said go on like that. There was no peace or little peace.
And Peyton seemed to be at the source of it all.
Peyton even tries to seduce Claire’s husband. But love was stronger, boundaries were set. He looked like he may have been wrestling a bit in his head but he clearly respected his wife and marriage and didn’t take the bate.
So, realize the enemy comes in to sow seeds of doubt. He may not send a Peyton but he may send something or someone else and in a different way. And we must do the following to overcome:
- Be alert. Know the spiritual climate of your home and when something is off, seek God’s wisdom and address it. Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour (1 Peter 5:8) Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Mark 14:38
- Guard your heart. Guard it with the Truth of our Lord and Savior, Christ Jesus. Saturate in the Word of God. Ask God to cleanse it and to heal any areas of it that need healing. Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life (Proverbs 4:23) Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:6-7) Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me (Psalm 51:10).
- Ask God for wisdom to discern the enemy’s lies. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him (James 1:5).
- Set boundaries and enforce them. Set standards and keep them. Setting boundaries protects you and others. It enforces self control and it draws the line with disrespect, unhealthy or ungodly intrusion. It show people how to respect you and treat you. For scriptures regarding boundaries, I will just include the link here. https://www.openbible.info/topics/boundaries
- Know your enemy. Even if he disguises himself, we should be able to recognize his tactics, his M.O, his ways, etc. And remember we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places (Ephesians 6:12). For knowing your enemy, I will include more scriptures regarding such here. https://www.openbible.info/topics/knowing_your_enemy
- Trust God and know that His love is unfailing. He will win and help you overcome. Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses (Proverbs 10:12). So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand (Isaiah 41:10).
Claire and her husband’s love won and in the end they trusted one another and came together to protect their family.
Whew, we don’t always see the enemy coming nor realize that he has been either invited in, has crept in, or finessed his way in, but I pray we realize more and more his tactics and lies. And I pray we replace his lies with the Truth of the Lord. That is what Jesus did. He fought the enemy with the Word of God, the Truth, and His commitment to the Father didn’t wane. Sidebar: He also knew His own identity and He knew His opponent. Knowing who you are as well as knowing and receiving God’s love and purpose for you are so crucial in our walk of life and continual fight for our destinies, souls, and families. We are in this fight whether we want to be in it or not.
Moreover, be alert as best as you can. Allow God to remove the distractions, heal you where needed, and to see things the way He does. We need His insight, wisdom like never before in these times. I pray peace for all over our homes, the kind of peace that surpasses all understanding and that peace only comes from Jesus.