Originally Posted on December 3, 2016
To simplify means to make something easier or simpler. We live in a work-consumed, comparing and competitive, busy and fast-paced, social-site and cellphone addicted world. Our homes and work places have become even more stressful and we are reminded daily by that tomorrow is not promised.
With that, people are desperately seeking to lead lives in which they can be more present and less stressed. They are determined to live simply in a chaotic world.
Tweet: Determined to live simply in a chaotic world. –Fruitful & Fabulous
People are downsizing their homes, switching careers, resigning from their jobs, decluttering their homes and donating used goods to help organizations. People are looking to declutter and live simply physically, financially, mentally, etc.
So, how do you begin to simplify?
- Declutter your homes, office/workspace, even emails, etc. Decluttering puts us in a great mental space as well as helps us create tidy, more organized and inviting spaces.
- Stop multitasking or at least much of the time. Many of us are great multitaskers; however, multitasking can leave us stressed and failing to give adequate attention to the tasks at hand.
- Subtract first before adding. Yes, in order to make room for something new and that something that should be occupying your time at that moment/season, you sometimes have to part ways with the old. This is even true about destructive relationships. If you are friends with or dating someone that is detrimemtal to your physical, emotional and spiritual well-being, pray for grace to let go and move on. Freeing up that space allows the right person to come in.
- Pray & meditate on God’s Word. This should have been first honestly. Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all things shall be added unto thee. Nurture your relationship with God first and foremost. Noone has ever regretted putting God first. He loves us beyond measure and knows what is best for us.
- Prioritize and organize. We honestly don’t know if you can find a 100% balance between everything in your life. But what we do know is that you can prioritize and organize, and make life that much better. Prioritizing also means learning to say no or when to say no.
- Delegate and ask for help. Despite the “S” we may feel like we wear on our chest, I guarantee you that even Superwoman needs help.
- Don’t be so hard on yourself and don’t overthink everything. Make sure you give yourself enough care. And forgive yourself for not being able to save the world today. We also tend to make something worse than what it is or bring something to doom in worry alone. Trust God.
- Laugh alot. Laughter is surely a great dose of medicine and a great distraction when anxious and feeling overwhelmed. Laugh a lot.
- Check your thoughts. Train yourself to fight and extract those thoughts that have no place occupying your mental space. Take every thought captive and make it obedient to Christ Jesus.
- Live in the moment. You can’t live in the past and you can’t go to the future but you are in the present. So Tweet: So be present in the present–Fruitful & Fabulous.
- Develop an emergency fund. That small cushion of funds saved for emergencies only can eliminate some stress and make it much easier to handle financial difficulties.
- Prepare. Prepare for the next day, assignment, trip, project, life changes as best as you can. It frees up your time and allows you to add something, if you must, or take something off your schedule.